Thursday, June 4, 2009

Wednesday, 6-3

Wow…what a day!

Saw my first black bear and got a picture. Then an Caribou, Moose and Stone Sheep. The sheep are all along the highway. You can stop and watch them, but if you step out of your vehicle, they take off.

I’m in Laird River – not a town, just a lodge with a campground, restaurant, small (very) store, gas and diesel. And they can charge anything they want….how about 1.58 a liter for gas. Really, highway robbery, but no other choice. There is a wild fire about 15 km north of here. They have been fighting it since Monday. The fire fighters are here at the lodge so if an evacuation is necessary, I’ll be one of the first to know. I did not unhook, so I can be outta here pretty quick.

The scenery today was magnificent. The Canadian Rockies are indescribable. I thought the Rocky Mts in Colorado were extraordinary – well, these are better. I’m hoping the photos will give you some idea.

I have not had cell service since Dawson Creek – not real comfortable traveling w/o it, but despite some rough road, slow speeds and construction, it was a good day. The construction was about a ¼ long…thru mud and gravel – thank heavens for 4x4….last thing I wanted to do was get bogged down in mud. Made for a very dirty trailer and truck. I hosed off both earlier today when I get here.

Should make it to Teslin, Yukon tomorrow. A bit more civilization.
Many, many of the one stop places have closed up. Sad, really – but like I’ve been saying, there are not a lot of folks on the road. I know I spend over an hour at a time w/o seeing one other vehicle. Allowed me to stop in the middle of the highway and take photos….one small advantage to no traffic. Will post again and add pictures when I can

No comments:

Post a Comment