Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday, June 6

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory...I did learn the difference between a Canadian Province and a Territory- (Alberta, British Columbia, etc. are Provinces). A province is not supported by the government to the degree a territory is. The Yukon and Northwest Territories are larger hunks of land with fewer people and therefore need addl assistance to maintain infrastructures. Whitehorse is the capital of the Yukon. Decent size town with a Walmart. I had dinner last night at the Yukon Mining Co restaurant....fresh trout...delicious. I also found the Yukon Brewing company. They only sell beer in growlers, so of course I had to get one. Their summer beer is Birch and they actually tap birch trees and add some of the sap to the beer. Very good....their motto is "beer worth freezing for"...gotta admit, that's pretty good. The RV park I'm at is nothing special...all rigs are just lined up, but I have wifi, satellite TV, and full hook ups for 26$...no complaints. I visited museums and main street today and also took the 2 hour boat ride on the Yukon River. This is a huge river and played an essential role during the building of the Alaska Highway. There is still ice and snow in the river...folks here are wearing shorts, tank tops, etc. cuz it's finally in the 70's. The population is extremly varied. Many, many native indians/eskimos - they are called First Nation people and there are many tribes. I cannot spell nor pronounce any of them. I'm surprised at how many senior citizens are here - no, not RVers, residents.



Tomorrow I'm heading thru the last stretch of the Alaska Highway and hope to cross into Alaska late Monday or Tuesday. This part of the highway has the most severe frost heaves so it will be slow going.

No comments:

Post a Comment