Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday, 6-4

I'm in Teslin, Yukon, camped on Nistulin Bay. The truck and trailer are filthy. Two several mile long construction areas today (one yesterday)....they water it down which makes mud and gets everywhere. Mud flaps on the truck help, but still it's a mess. Whitehorse, capital of the Yukon Territory is only 111 miles away so I'll be there early tomorrow I hope. This is a real city - population of 24,000. Staying at the Pioneer RV Park which has a RV wash, and will I use it. There is also the Yukon Brewery...no need to say more, huh! I'm staying in Whitehorse until Sunday - need to refresh and regroup before heading out for the last stretch to the border of the US of A again. Once I leave Whitehorse, the Alaska Highway is the worst for frost heaves. It will be a slow go, I'm sure. I'll get updated info in Whitehorse. I'd like to be in Tok Alaska by Monday night and in Anchorage by Thursday. Once in Tok, Alaska, I head south on the Glenn Highway. Anchorage is 328 miles south of Tok. Follows Wrangell-St. Elias National Park which is the largest park in the USA.

I have Wifi here in Teslin which is surprising - not strong enough to download anything...I tried.

Animal sightings....very, very cool!!!
I saw a black bear yesterday, and one today. Caribou, Moose and Stone Sheep yesterday also. And today...a momma grizzly and 2 cubs. Yes, I got pictures. I took them quick of the grizzly - she was busy eating and I kept the truck between her and I. I'll post to my blog this weekend. Also saw Bison, but could not get a picture. That wildfire near Laird River where I camped last night has grown. I left early this morning and they had pilot cars taking folks on the Alaska Highway, both directions. Here in Teslin, I heard they closed the highway for several miles late this morning. As I drove thru it this morning, you could see trees burning. The forest is right along the highway. In some areas, it has been cut down/back for maybe 20 to 40 feet from the highway. Sure glad I got an early start or I'd be stuck a couple hundred miles south.

Just tried to download a photo, but it won't go thru. There will be a bunch for you to view once I can get decent wifi.

All is good.

2 comments:

  1. Expect a full report out on the Brewery action :) Might be safer on the road with the cute little animals. Your certainly having an adventure. Very cool. Looking forward to the next group of photos. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't nistulin what you have to take when you eat too many cookies?

    ReplyDelete