Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday, June 7

Rough ride from Whitehorse to Beaver Creek...I'm about 40 miles from the USA border, but no RV parks there. The road was as awful as I read. However, the scenery was fantastic..the best yet. Not many places to pull over for pictures, so I just stopped in the road. I'm hard-wired here in the little store.

So much history thru this area - from the building of the highway to gold mining - fascinating..... As I drive this road, it is not hard to imagine those folks back in 1942 constructing the original road. How they did it is, however, beyond imagination. Year-round construction in 40 below zero temps...wow! And ever since then, the road is constantly under going improvements. Just before entering Beaver Creek, they has these pipes ( I have a picture but it's still in the camera), they are being used to try and find the best way to deal with the perma-frost melting. When it does, it becomes liquid and the road collapses. Now I know not everyone believes in Global Warming, but that seems to be the issue here. Major studies going on. I'm hope to find out more in Anchorage - I'm curious...




Some pictures...seems I can download a few...


Momma grizzly and cubs...that's her backend...











My last Arrogant Bastard beer!

































From my boat ride on the Yukon River


































All is Good!



























2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy! Figured I'd check-in to see how your doin'. I see you've seen lots of bears (black and grizzly). Have I told you I was also a BIG fan of Stone brewery ? Ah yes, Arrogant Bastard Al - kiss ass brew. btw: I'm just guessing, but ^^^^ on the sign means 'washboard, rough road-LOL. Hugs-Don

    ReplyDelete